With Just Three Questions, This Is The World's Shortest IQ Test
There are three short questions which are the difference between being of average intelligence, and being a brainbox – so you had better get your thinking cap on.
Not all of us are born with additional intelligence, or the patience to spend the time needed to do all the tests to find out your actual IQ. So in comes the Cognitive Reflection Test. Some clever person somewhere put together a short quiz to separate the average from the super intelligent in a few short minutes, but we encourage you to give it as long as you can.
High stakes, and everything.
Here are the three questions:
1. A bat and a ball cost £1.10 in total. The bat costs £1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?
2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?
3. In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?
What were your answers? Just think over them for a few more minutes.
This is what most people guess as the correct answers:
2. 100 minutes
3. 2 days
Here are the actual correct answers:
1. 5p (the bat costs £1 more than the ball, so if the ball is 5p, that makes the bat £1.05 which adds up to £1.10)
2. 5 minutes (one machine makes a widget in five minutes, so 100 machines could make 100 widgets in five minutes)
3. 47 days (if the amount of pond covered by lily pads doubles every day, and it is completely covered on day 48, it would have been half covered on day 47)
Is your mind a little blown? How many did you get right?
83% of people, out of a study of 3,500, got at least one question wrong and 33% got all of them wrong. So basically, if you got them right you’re probably pretty intelligent.
Are you let wishing there were more questions for you to sharpen your teeth on? Here are a few (less mathsy) we’ve rounded up from the internet:
1. A man was walking in the rain. He was in the middle of nowhere. He had nothing and nowhere to hide. He came home all wet, but not a single hair on his head was wet. Why is that?
2. 14 of the kids in the class are girls. 8 of the kids wear blue shirts. 2 of the kids are neither girls or wear a blue shirt. If 5 of the kids are girls who wear blue shirts how many kids are in the class?
3. Paul’s height is six feet, he’s an assistant at a butcher’s shop, and wears size 9 shoes. What does he weigh?
4. A is the father of B. But B is not the son of A. How’s that possible?
5. If it took eight men ten hours to build a wall, how long would it take four men to build it?
And here are the answers:
1. He’s bald
4. B is his daughter
5. No time at all. The wall is already built.
Well, doesn’t your brain feel thoroughly exercised?
Which did you get right? Let us know in the comments!
Images via Giphy/iStock