Chinese Vlogger Accidentally Poisons Herself During Livestream
A Chinese vlogger has accidentally poisoned herself during a livestream, eating a plant that she believed to be Aloe Vera.
The 26-year-old – who goes by her surname, Zhang – invited her followers to watch her “Aloe Vera feast”, as she ate the raw leaves of the plant while discussing its health benefits.
Unfortunately, however, Zhang had accidentally bought the wrong plant, and was actually consuming Agave Americana – a highly poisonous plant from Mexico.
While she started the video saying “yum”, and “this is great”, she quickly realised that something wasn’t right. After just a few bites Zhang began to complain that it tasted “bitter”, before revealing that her throat felt as if it were “on fire.”
The vlogger cut off the live-stream, called an ambulance, and was rushed to hospital.
Doctors reportedly found that she had broken out in blisters and a rash, and were forced to pump her stomach.
Zhang is now in a stable condition, which medical staff believe is thanks to the fact that she got herself to the hospital so quickly. Apparently her situation could have been “severe”, had she not received such prompt medical attention.
While Aloe Vera (below, on the left) can be safely eaten, Cornell University report that Agave Americana (on the right) has “several toxic compounds.”
While it can be consumed if prepared properly (it’s used in tequila, for example), it definitely should not be eaten raw.
While Zhang’s consumption of it was accidental, more and more vloggers are attempting dangerous stunts in an effort to attract large audiences.
Last week, 19-year-old YouTuber MonaLisa Perez, from Minnesota, was arrested for shooting and killing her boyfriend Pedro Ruiz in a stunt gone wrong.
The couple – whose videos usually focused on ““the real life of a young couple who happen to be teen parents” – were reportedly attempting to get more followers by performing dangerous tricks and pranks.
Tragically, they had believed that a heavy encyclopedia would stop the bullet.
MonaLisa – who is pregnant with her and Pedro’s second child – has been charged with second degree manslaughter, and is currently being held in police custody.
If found guilty, she could spend up to ten years in prison.
Pedro’s aunt reportedly told local news:
“They were in love, they loved each other. It was just a prank gone wrong. It shouldn’t have happened like this. It shouldn’t have happened at all.
He told me he had an idea. I said, ‘Don’t do it, don’t do it. Why are you going to use a gun, why?’ He said, ‘Because we want more viewers.'”
Let us know what you think in the comments!
Images via iStock / v.qq.com
H/T The Telegraph